Saturday, July 6, 2013

Vinegars.....Gluten Free or Not Gluten Free??? That is the question???

Okay, so here's the deal about vinegars and the soy sauces...is there gluten???? As my new lifestyle change in food, eating healthy is important to me. Before I get into facts and opinions about this subject, let me just tell you, I'm not a big fan of salads. I eat it and I have a craving of it at least once a month. But when I do eat them, I love vinaigrettes. Ranch...blah! Blue cheese...only for hot wings! 1000 island dressing....I miss Reuben sandwiches!! But salads, give me vinegar!!! Plus I love vinegars because it enhances and gives big flavors to dishes. I'm salivating over my quinoa dish I make often. Mmmmmmm!!!!

So now with vinegars, why are there vinegars that have gluten?!?!?! So here is the research that I have read and talked to my favorite gluten free doctor I work with - vinegars use gluten grains in order to create vinegar. But in the process of making vinegar, it breaks down the gluten. They have a measurement - ppm(parts per million). If it is under 20ppm's, it is considered gluten free via laws from United Kingdom and United States. And for the most part, most vinegars are under 20ppms. So does that mean you can use vinegar for people that have celiac disease? They may still have a reaction, but people that have a sensitivity, for the most part, they will be ok. Fortunately for me, vinegars like me! My advice, try it out and you have symptoms to gluten from the vinegars, don't eat it!

Soy sauces have this controversial issue about gluten. It's made out of soy! Yes, you're right, but some certain brand of soy sauces add gluten grains to their fermentation process to create soy sauce. There are some brand names that do not use gluten grains and are considered gluten free. Yay! So please be aware and always read your labels or do some research on it. Trust me, it's worth it!

Let's talk about types of vinegars....For instance, the infamous malt vinegar, forget about it!!! MALT!! Enough said! That is one vinegar you need to stay away! Distilled vinegars, depends what they use. Certain distilled vinegars can use corn, wheat, wood and other items and can have a combination of items. So look at the ingredients please! Some can be gluten free. Wine, rice, balsamic and apple cider vinegars are less than 20ppm so it should be good too. But remember, it can depend on the brand. They might add gluten grains to these vinegars.

My advice: Read the labels! Do the research on certain brand name vinegars!!! And once you find the ones you like, ENJOY!

Funny, I want a salad now! There goes my salad craving for the month..........

For more info check out this post on vinegars and soy sauce 

No comments:

Post a Comment